Vegetable korma is the delight of vegetarian and vegan recipe world. In some regions of southeast Asia, Korma is also pronounced as ‘kurma’, and there are a variety of korma curries like Navratan Korma (nine jewel korma), Paneer Korma, Chicken Korma, and so on. All korma curries are essentially mild and creamy curries. The beauty of vegetable korma curry is the use of simple ingredients, common vegetables and it is easy to cook. With its creamy taste (without any use of dairy products, of course!) and mild flavours, vegetable kurma easily becomes your most favourite curry dish! And makes you a fan of vegetarian dishes.
Generous use of fresh coconut paste (or canned coconut milk for your convenience), white wet ground poppy seeds mix, optional luxury nuts and exclusive spices transforms the day to day ordinary vegetables into a special and scrumptious vegetable korma curry dish. Try it yourself and see why this vegetable korma recipe is in the list of top five vegetarian curries you must taste.
Here is Your Recipe
Let's cook Vegetable Korma...
2 cups Vegetables (your favourite daily use vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, potato, peas, beans, etc)
2 Onions cut lengthwise
2 Green chilies cut lengthwise
1 tsp Coriander powder
1 1/4 tsp Salt
One pinch of turmeric powder
½ inch Cinnamon stick
2 tbsp Coconut powder
1 tsp Khus-Khus (poppy seeds)
1/4 tsp (3 cloves) Garlic
1/4 tsp powder (or 1/2" fresh) Ginger
1. Put a reasonable sized vessel on the range and heat oil
2. Add cinnamon, cloves and cardamom and fry for 2-3 minutes
3. Add onions and green chilies and fry till onions turn brown
4. Add garlic + ginger paste and fry for one to two minutes
5. Add vegetables and fry for about 3 minutes
6. Add one to two cups of water, let the vegetables and turmeric powder cook (If you are using canned or frozen vegetables skip the above step)
7. Add coconut paste, khus-khus, salt and wait until cooked
(Note: Cook on low heat)
Since Korma curries are generally mild, try them with pulav or special fried rice to balance heat.
Use white poppy seeds for creamy looks.
For fresh and better taste preapre coconut paste, instead of coconut powder. Only if you got time to do so.